Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sunday Morning

I am here at Church and listening to the sermon for the second time. Thought maybe I would blog as I listened.

The sermon this morning is about friends, part of a series. This week it about Foolish Friends.
Parable of the Virgins and the Parable of the Builders. You can hear the sermon yourself - and the others in the series at Calvary.ca - select media and then sermons.

Another cool feature - is the "watch live" - you can watch our church services on the webcast.

Phil and I both work in the media department at the Church - both of us with computers in front of us during the service. So while we listen to the sermon it is not uncommon for us to be doing something else - Like blogging or playing Star Pirates.

Our new schedule for 2009 has us at the helm of the media once a month for me and every 3 weeks for Phil. On those days we are up at 7 and in the drivethru at Tim Hortons by 7:40. We are in our appointed places at 8:00 am - we are here until the end of the second service - about 12:30. Brian is not too happy with this schedule - as he has to be here for the same time. We have started training him on what is done up here in the media room. That way he can feel some sense of purpose for being here (that is my theory at least). He goes to Kids Church during the second service.

Back to the sermon - it is interesting to me that Pastor is preaching on Friends. The past few weeks I have been thinking a lot about Friends. The friends that I have and how I treasure them. The friends that I have had in the past and lost contact with. I have also been thinking about how I need to put my self out there and make new friends.

When I was younger it seemed so easy to make new friends - for some reason I seem to find it difficult now. Maybe I just need to stop looking at myself and just join something where other people are. And then call one of them? I never thought of myself as a shy person - but I seem to behave that way lately.

And this desire to make friends seems to be evolving out of a feeling of loneliness. And where has that come from? I have a close family - closer than many! I have a loving husband - who likes to spend time with me (so he says). But some days I find myself feeling lonely.

So I am looking for any advice you may have - all ideas gratefully accepted.

Now I must go back to my duties - the sermon is starting to wind down and I am sure that the congregation would like to have the words to the song so that they can sing along!

5 comments:

Kimpossible said...

I totally understand that feeling as I'm experiencing the same thing now. It's defintely harder to make friends as an adult unless you are in multiple groups or have young children. I'm slowly joining more just to get that same connection.

Laura said...

I am going to join you on the joining more!! Phil and I find it difficult some times as most people our age are empty nesters - and we are still in the elementary school years - piano lessons, floor hockey and such! I guess we will have to hang out with people younger!

I hope you find a good friend or two up there.

Unknown said...

Lonely...but surrounded by people. I think it's time to pick up the phone and start inviting people over for dinner? Yeah age doesn't matter at all!

Cathie said...

Funny how things change.. there you sit lonely, here I am lonely and we used to be so close and we did so much together. I wonder what changed - I still love you. :)

Laura said...

Hey Cathie - never lonely when I spend time with you!! Just seems like there isnt much Cathie time lately! Lets change that ok! Come for dinner on Thursday!

 
©2011 Designs by Dana