Wednesday, October 19, 2011

It's a DELUGE!

The old saying is "when it rains, it pours".  Well in my house - it's a freaking DELUGE!!!!

As you may or may not know, Sept 15 I had surgery for breast cancer.  The surgery was successful!  Yahoo!

That very same day, my sister was diagnosed with Stage 3 Endometrial Cancer.  That was a shocker to say the least.

A couple of days later, I developed a post operative infection.  Got to spend the next 10 days going back and forth to the Outpatient clinic for IV antibiotics.

I got the results of my pathology - the cancer has not spread beyond the tumor, that is good news, there was no cancer in the lymph nodes, more good news!  Then came the small piece of bad news, my tumor was what is called Triple Negative Breast Cancer.  That is the one that does not respond to any hormone treatment. It is often treated with traditional chemotherapy.

Thursday October 20 I get to see the oncologist where I will learn what type of treatment they think will be the best attack on my cancer.  Radiation for sure, maybe chemo,  We will see.

While all this is going on,  Phil finally got a date for a knee surgery he has been waiting for, October 25.  Then my sister got her surgery date, October 24.  Yup that is just how we roll around here!

Oh yeah, and then my infection came back. At least this time I am on oral antibiotics. 

Then last night, Phil's face started to swell up.  He looked  a bit like Martin Short in that movie where his character was allergic to bees and got stung repeatedly!  So off to the hospital we went!  Spent 5 hours there to find out that he has a plugged saliva gland and needed to go home and suck a lemon (not a lemming, Tanya!).

Today - it happened again.  So off he went back to the hospital.  Now he has to suck a lemon, drink lots of water, apply heat and massage.  Hoping that this will not postpone his surgery.

So here is what I can expect in the near future:
Husband - Knee recuperation time 6-8 weeks, no driving for a good portion of it.  And now coping with the plugged duct
Sister - Radical Hysterectomy  - recuperation time 6-8 weeks and then treatment for cancer - radiation and possibly chemo
Myself - antibiotics for 6 more days, starting treatment to eradicate any left over cancer cells.

So there is my update!! IT'S A DELUGE!!!!!!  Anyone got a huge umbrella for all of us to hide under?

No comments:

 
©2011 Designs by Dana