Saturday, November 15, 2008

Costume fitting fun and games!

It all started at the Costume Fitting. The lady said - try this dear (i hate being called dear) it should be fine - if it is a little tight we can make an adjustment. And then she handed me a dress made of curtain fabric - the heavy damask type curtains - and a heavy wool cape - almost got a hernia lifting the darn thing!

I said to myself - Self - this could be a pretty hot time - and I did not mean in the sexy way!!!!

But it is only a costume and only for 3 nights so off I went to try it on. It is a pretty dress actually just heavy -- that was my thoughts until I actually got into it --- it was one tight fit - the bust and shoulders were awesome but the waist was very tight --- and it was a velcro closure. So if I took a deep breath - like you are supposed to do when you sing, the front of the dress would pop open at the waist. So much fun! Then I stood around in the lovely drapes, I mean dress for about an hour waiting my turn to be checked out by the costumer.

And I started to sweat, now I dont mean a light prespiring, a glow on the forehead, I am talking about buckets and buckets of sweat - running down my back. My face got very red --- redder than normal. One lady asked me if I was ok. I said not so good.

It was finally my turn - the costume lady said - that is great -- I said it is really tight --- she said well why dont you just not hook it at the waist. So we tried that and I said to our director -- I am not too sure about this, I am not sure I will be able to breathe properly and I took a deep breath and sure enough - costume malfunction - the front popped and the fat was on display!

Fortunately for me - the director agreed that this lovely , 30 lb drape, I mean dress, was not going to work. The costume lady said well I do have a red skirt that should work. And she handed me what looked to be a red quilt - yup you heard it here first! I will be wearing a red quilted skirt with a short red quilted over skirt in the christmas production.

Sounds good - right? Well it would be just fine if the skirt came with a top! So here I am on the hunt for a victoria blouse - high neck, long sleeve in a size humungo and I need in 10 days! HELP!

So if you know any one who has a large, plus size victorian costume, rather plain in colour and design, who would be willing to rent it to me -- please rescue me!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Think medieval and walk across the hall.

Laura said...

tried that already! but 13th century and 19th century are very different!

Anonymous said...

Try this place in New West, This is where Royal City Musical Theater gets a lot of there stuff. Also the place that lent me " The Hat" for Tanya's shower.

604 307 9529

 
©2011 Designs by Dana